Saturday, January 11, 2014

Update 27: Random Levels - Part 1

After scaling up my levels and populating them with the new assets, I went to work creating randomized levels. The original xcom had 10x10 tiles that were randomly added to a level to create a 100x100 sized level. This worked very well to create a new experience in every level, even though the buildings were often recognizable.



I've only created four 10x10 tiles so far, but I've made them all prefabs. In the screenshots below, you can see two of the prefabs highlighted. Note that this is only a 20x20 level, with only 4 tiles of 10x10 each. 




Now when I load a level I am able to randomly choose, arrange and rotate these tiles to create a random level. This is a huge step forward for my project. By creating 10x10 prefabs with content in the center, I can really create some interesting levels. Here are a few more samples:




This last sample is a 30x30 sample (9 tiles total) from a five tile set (one of the tiles is blank):

No comments:

Post a Comment