Friday, May 2, 2014

Update 33: More Refined Destruction

After refining the decay code, I went to work combining it with the destruction code. As I mentioned before, the idea was to dynamically explode my object and then use the decay to clean up the exploded blocks. This would double as a garbage collector and visually clean up the screen after the object had been destroyed. I also spent a lot of extra time making sure it would work with objects of different sizes and objects rotated. Subtle, but challenging to get right in all places. Below is a series of screenshots showing the current explosions and results. The biggest trouble I had was creating an object in the middle of my explosion with the right force. I'm very happy with the results here. You'll also notice in the during screenshots that 30% of my cubes are applied the same explosion texture as the center of the explosion. I found that this helped with performance and the explosion animation.

Square before:

Square during:

Square after:

Tank before:

Tank during:

Tank after:

No comments:

Post a Comment