Friday, October 3, 2014

Update 37: Polishing the new UI

Another productive week, where I created more prototypes than I ever have before (in game development). When we last left off, I had created a GUI with a very discrete representation of health. 



The next step was to try and use the parallelogram design that so many modern games use. Fellow Turn based development enthusiast Stew Trezise (His website: boymeetsdinosaur.com) mocked up the following design: 




My first attempt seemed to have the health cells a little tight together. It looked great in the mock up, but needed more room. 



It also needed a slightly bigger border to give it more definition. The next revision was starting to make sense, but the empty health cells were not quite looking right as a white color.


I experimented with different colors before settling on no color. Here is the (current) final version, with transparent empty health cells.



As soon as I integrated this in the game (which was very easy since I was working off a GUI prefab), I noticed that having so many GUI's visible was a bit distracting. My solution was to show the selected player (and target) with the normal brightness and lower the transparency of everyone else by about 50%.


This works well, especially when there are a lot of units piled on top of each other.


Next, I'm going to work on creating a little hover to indicate status (and health) changes.

No comments:

Post a Comment